mints pie? axe of God? religious tracks? Prints of Wales?

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sat May 7 18:08:05 UTC 2005

RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
> In a message dated 5/7/05 1:37:11 PM, zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU writes:
>

>>On May 7, 2005, at 10:29 AM, Ron Butters wrote:

>>>A woderful website -- but where is "it is a doggy dog world"
>>
>>in the works.  i have dozens of items to enter, and Chris Waigl has
>>even more.  maybe we can get Ben Zimmer to do this one...
>>
>>arnold
>>

> I searched on Google for "mints pie" and found that John Lennon (?) once used
> this spelling for a Christmas pie, but I'm not sure if he was making a pun or
> not. I'm interested in any eggcorns that use mints/mince, prints/prince,
> acts/axe, tracks/tracts, etc. There are several commerical names that use the
> prints/prince puns, but these of course are not eggcorns.

I've seen so many instances of "getting untracked" where my Sprachgefühl
tells me "getting on track" should be used that I'm no longer sure what
the original expression is. I've seen elaborate etymologies of "getting
untracked" that seem too contrived to be correct. But, of course, I
haven't cared enough to research it.

On "doggy-dog world", I first heard (yes, heard) this in the mid-80s,
from an undergraduate student of mine in Florida. The unstressed vowel
in "doggy" was clearly lengthened, so it wasn't simply a matter of the
/t/ in "eat" being assimilated to the /d/ in "dog".

Alice Faber
faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                            tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                         fax (203) 865-8963