Quotations from 2005 (WARNING: long and possibly annoying contribution)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun May 8 11:52:04 UTC 2005

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Rex W. Stocklin wrote:

> Okay, color me ignorant, but how do PHRASES qualify as QUOTES? I
> enjoy observing the use of new words and phrases very much. Such was
> my impetus to seek out this forum, where I mostly watch you scholarly
> types have at it.

Thanks for your really excellent list of newish phrases and terms.  The
short answer to why these were not ADS Words of the Year, I suppose, is
that there can only be one winner per year, so some noteworthy candidates
must be losers.  Or do you mean they weren't even votegetters?

As for phrases qualifying as quotes, you are right that a phrase such as
"nuclear option" is not a quote.  However, the sentence or sentences in
which it was coined or popularized could be considered a quotation, and in
my book I am including the originative or popularizing or defining
passages for a fair number of important terms.  For example, the passage
in Eisenhower's farewell speech in which the term "military-industrial
complex" was introduced certainly belongs in a quotation dictionary.

Fred Shapiro