(quasi-)neologisms

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 9 17:46:10 UTC 2005

>I'm not sure if self reporting is helpful, but my college friends and I
>said things like this in college in the late 1970's-- our favorite was
>"walk much?" if someone tripped.  This SW PA circa 1976.  Not sure where
>it came from though.
>
>Patti Kurtz

I think this usage (which I could imagine hearing or saying) is
different, in that a negative proposition is implicated here (=
'apparently, you don't walk much'), while the Heathero-Buffyist usage
implicates a positive one, as noted below.  Plus there's no negative
evaluation of the activity of walking in connection with the
"out-of-practice" reading above the way there is with obsessiveness,
jealousy, paranoia, etc.

Larry