(quasi-)neologisms

Michael Adams madams1448 at AOL.COM
Mon May 9 18:31:20 UTC 2005

Also, there's not the slightest challenge to combinatorial propriety:
first, adverbs easily modify verbs, in some manner, in some structure;
second, the sentence is an easily interpreted ellipsis -- "(Do you)
walk much?"  Some of the ADJ + much constructions aren't so terribly
out of the way, either:  first, adverbs regularly modify adjectives;
second, "(Are you) jealous much?" seems an easy ellipsis.  The problems
begin to develop here, though:  much 'often', much 'a lot', or much
'very, intensively'?  And at the point that these glosses for much
don't coordinate easily with the adjective antecedent, the problem gets
worse.  "Tuna much?"  Understanding this depends on context and
cultural agreement (of the kind the Clarks described in 1975 for verbed
proper names) -- "Do you eat tuna a lot?" isn;t a successful rendering
of the sentence.  Also, there's the NOUN + ADV problem -- shouldn't
happen, but does.  "That is so Eighties" or "That is so you" are
related but not quite the same, not least in preposition of the adverb.
  Thus VERB + much = colloquial, but ADJ + much = slang, and NOUN + much
-- slang much.

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent:         Mon, 9 May 2005 13:46:10 -0400
Subject:      Re: (quasi-)neologisms

   >I'm not sure if self reporting is helpful, but my college friends
and I
  >said things like this in college in the late 1970's-- our favorite
was
  >"walk much?" if someone tripped. This SW PA circa 1976. Not sure
where
 >it came from though.
 >
 >Patti Kurtz

 I think this usage (which I could imagine hearing or saying) is
 different, in that a negative proposition is implicated here (=
 'apparently, you don't walk much'), while the Heathero-Buffyist usage
 implicates a positive one, as noted below. Plus there's no negative
 evaluation of the activity of walking in connection with the
 "out-of-practice" reading above the way there is with obsessiveness,
 jealousy, paranoia, etc.

 Larry