"Giants" in New York World

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue May 10 03:23:01 UTC 2005

MISC. COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC
I bought a new Toshiba laptop on Sunday, played with it for about half an hour, and then it went into "hibernation" and shut off. Ain't the Best Buy "Geek Squad" guys, who pre-set the thing because I paid them, supposed to charge the battery?
American Express immediately sent me an e-mail about the "suspicious charge" on my credit card...Only ten miserable hours of adjudicating parking tickets today.
WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT?--Bond 45 on West 45th Street, opened in late January. It's best to go on a Monday, when Broadway shows take a break. I was told it's usually packed for dinner. It was OK, nothing extraordinary but just satisfactory...NYC Test: Is Your Waitress an Actor?--Yes. I guessed right tonight.
"GIANTS" IN NEW YORK WORLD
I didn't have much time tonight, but I checked for "Giants" in the NY World (available at NYU and other better libraries). I was certain that the World's great sports section would have something. However, someone named Gerald Cohen has already looked through the World's baseball columns, without commenting on "Giants."
We hit the jackpot here, folks.
3 May 1885, New York World, pg. 7, col. 3:
THE NEW YORK GIANTS WIN.
5 May 1885, New York World, pg. 2, col. 5:
NEW YORK'S GIANTS WHIP THE PROVI-
DENCE GRAYS.
6 May 1885, New York World, pg. 3, col. 5:
A DEFEAT FOR THE GIANTS.
7 May 1885, New York WOrld, pg. 6, col. 3:
NEW YORK WINS AGAIN.
THE GIANTS EASILY DEFEAT THE BOSTON
PLAYERS.
8 May 1885, New York World, pg. 6, col. 5:
Mutrie is the Bone of Contention--He will Man-
age the Giants, Although Expelled by the
American Association--Rain Prevents Games
Schedule for Yesterday.
12 May 1885, New York World, pg. 2, col. 5:
NEW YORK'S GIANTS LEAD.
13 May 1885, New York World, pg. 3, col. 4:
A DEFEAT FOR THE GIANTS.
15 May 1885, New York World, pg. 6, col. 4:
THE METROPOLITAN GIANTS DEFEAT
THE DETROIT LEAGUERS.
16 May 1885, New York World, pg. 6, col. 4:
THE GIANTS IN THE LEAD.
17 May 1885, New York World. pg. 6, col. 1:
THE GIANTS WIN EASILY.
18 May 1885, New York World, pg. 2, col. 4:
THE GIANTS TO THE FORK.
20 May 1885, New York World, pg. 2, col. 3:
NEW YORK WINS AGAIN.
THE GIANTS TAKE DETROIT'S VISITORS
INTO CAMP.
23 May 1885, New York World, pg. 6, col. 5:
A VICTORY FOR THE GIANTS.
24 May 1885, New York World, pg. 7, col. 1:
THE GIANTS WIN AGAIN.
I think it's safe to say now that "Giants" was not coined on June 3, 1885, and that the San Francisco Giants' official website is in error about its team's nickname.