Navy slang (1927)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 10 18:47:34 UTC 2005

Wow! I'd completely forgotten about the use of "gob" to mean "sailor,"
despite the fact that, as anyone can tell, just by reading the
article, that "gob" was once the "standard," so to speak, slang term.
In my day, late '50's to early '60's, sailors generally referred to
themselves as "swabbies" and to marines as "jarheads."  The only
marines around - at the old Army Language School - were officers. So,
I had no occasion, as an EM, to socialize with them and hear how they
referred to themaelves.

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray