"Hit 'em where they ain't" (1901)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 11 18:07:53 UTC 2005

On 5/11/05, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at rci.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU>
> Subject:      "Hit 'em where they ain't" (1901)
>
> The origins of one of the most famous quotes in baseball...
>
> -----
> http://eagle.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/Repository/BEG/1901/07/29/002-BEG-1901-07-29-01-SINGLE.PDF#OLV0_Entity_0369
> _Brooklyn Eagle_, July 29, 1901, p. 11, col. 3
> Willie Keeler is always prepared for anything that comes along. Yesterday
> a Philadelphia fan approached him and inquired what was the principal
> attribute of a successful batter.

Do what?

(a) "...inquired what was the principal attribute of a successful batter."

and not

(b) "...inquired what the principal attribute of a successful batter was"?!

What's up with this? Isn't (b) the "correct" word order? Hasn't no
less a light than William Labov stated that the (a) form is peculiar
to the currently so-called "AAVE"? Or am I simply terribly, terribly
confused? Naturally, I've seen and heard the (a) word order here,
there, and everywhere, here of late. But that can be accounted for by
ordinary language change since Labov made his statement. But, if Labov
is or was correct about (a), why is it found in a white newspaper
published before he was born? Did the (a) type die out among white
speakers, only to be resurrected by black influence as a result of
creeping desegregation? Or is my memory simply fubar?

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray