eggcorn

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed May 11 22:21:12 UTC 2005

This merging of tense and lax (to lax) before L is common in Ohio
too.  Thus, i > I, e > E, and u/o > U/^ (wedge).  A common sign around here
in SE Ohio is "For Sell."  I haven't seen other words respelled to match
sound--yet.  (Only thus would it be an eggcorn, right?)

As I understand it, the Southern Shift essentially switches tense and lax
rather than merging them.  So, keel > kill, and kill > keel.  We have some
Southern influence here, but it's not widespread north of Portsmouth.

Beverly Flanigan
Ohio University