eggcorn

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed May 11 23:28:12 UTC 2005

>This merging of tense and lax (to lax) before L is common in Ohio
>too.  Thus, i > I, e > E, and u/o > U/^ (wedge).  A common sign around here
>in SE Ohio is "For Sell."  I haven't seen other words respelled to match
>sound--yet.  (Only thus would it be an eggcorn, right?)

Pittsburgh also has this feature. Also before /gl/ apparently. "Steelers"
sounds like "Stillers". "Legal" sounds like "liggle". "Swissvale" sounds
like "Swissvell". The video rental chain associated with the Giant Eagle
(sounds like "Jye-Niggle" sometimes) supermarket chain is named "Iggle
Video" and this is how it is spelled (on the storefront for example).

-- Doug Wilson