Whole Nine Yards (1855)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 12 08:13:00 UTC 2005

The "new" 1973 citation should not be dismissed so easily.
21 March 1973, Oakland Tribune, pg. 5, col. 1:
_Ex-POWs Seen as_
_Symbols of All GIs_
By Richard Paoli
The returning prisoners of war symbolize every American that fought in
Vietnam, Cmdr. Richard A. Stratton, of Palo Alto, told newsmen at a press
conference yesterday at Oaklanf Naval Hospital.
(...)
"The interesting thing that I have noticed is a new freedom of spirit,"  said
Stratton, a soft touch of New England twang in his voice. "I think the long
hair, short skirts, loud music, fancy cars--the whole nine yards--simply
resolves itself into a new freedom."