eggcorn

Rex W. Stocklin stocklin at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu May 12 21:20:52 UTC 2005

At 1:20 PM -0700 5/11/05, Fritz Juengling wrote:

>Here is an email that I received from our registrar--maybe it could
>be added to some eggcorn list somewhere (reminds me of Utah speech):
>
>If you have any questions please fill free to ask away.

My wife is a genuine Utahn, an actual great-great-granddaughter of
Brigham Young, though not a practicing Mormon. And she swears she
ain't never heard of this, or anything reminiscent.

Though she says "playzhure" for "pleasure" (I've ALWAYS heard it as
plehzhure, and I've lived in Chicago, Los Angeles, Oklahoma,
Scottsdale & Boston) and "mayzhure" for measure" (mehzhure). While
both pronunciations are in the online M-W, I'm curious if this has a
socioeconomic, cultural or regional component, as in "aunt" (ant vs.
ahnnt).

You say roCOco, I say rocoCO....
Lexy
Fishers