eggcorn

Fri May 13 20:44:01 UTC 2005

Short e tensing--only before /g/ though--extends as far north as Grand
Rapids, Muskegon, and Kalamazoo, MI, so it's not just in  the North
Midlands.  Never heard it in NW NJ (I'm from Morris County), but I know
the dialect is somewhat transitional.  I don't have any of the pre-/l/
mergers, but my postvocalic /l/ is a velarized vowel (and I have
contrasts like vow = [vaeu] vs. vowel = [VAu], where [A] is a low-back
vowel.   Mirror and nearer rhyme, though this may be due to too many
years in the Midwest; I have a central V1 in both coat and boot, but NOT
a front one; I've heard the same from many NYC speakers, so at least
this hint of the Southern vowel shift crawls up the East Coast that far.

I've heard "eya" (triphthong) type realizations in EC PA (around
Allentown) in many tensing environments for short "a", often where many
Southerners would have a similar triphthong.  You might get fill/feel
and pool/pull mergers there too.

Paul Johnston