eggcorn/Utah speech

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri May 13 22:52:48 UTC 2005

Fritz,  your anecdote reminds me of an anecdote. I once met a Dutch
woman whose name I heard as "Hanny." So, of course, I addressed her as
that. Some time later, I saw her name spelled out as "Henny." So,
naturally, I adjusted my pronunciation of her name in accordance with
the spelling. But a funny thing happened. For no reason at all, she
suddenly began to complain that I was mispronouncing her name. So, I
double-checked that I hadn't misapprehended the spelling. I hadn't. So,
where was the problem?

Well, it turned out that I had forgotten that I speak a dialect that
neutralizes /I/ and /E/ as /I/ before nasals. So, I thought that I was
saying H[E]nny, but I was actually saying H[I]]nny. On the other hand,
Dutch /E/ is almost as low as English [ae].  So, as long as I
pronounced her name as "H[ae]nny," that was okay with her. But she
couldn't abide hearing her name pronounced as "Hinny."

-Wilson Gray