Forms of address (Was: Re: "Leader DeLay"???)

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri May 13 23:48:10 UTC 2005

A long time ago at a university far, far away (well, specifically in
Chattanooga, TN, in the early 1970s) I ran into a usage I'd never
encountered before and have not encountered since.

This was before first names among colleagues and coworkers was
universal--at least I presume it is everywhere now.  Faculty colleagues
called each other by first names, and addressed and referred to the dean of
faculty the same way, but administrators at the VP level and up were
referred to by last name, without title ("Do you think Brownley will go
along with it?"), and addressed (IIRC) by last name plus "Mrs." or "Mr."
("Ms." was barely getting started then).  The unfamiliar usage I'm talking
about was among "The Administration."  They addressed each other by title
alone, e.g.,

"What do you think, Dean?"
"I dunno, Chancellor, but I'll check it out."

Is this still alive and well in the South, does anybody know, or did it go
out with last names, or...?

Peter Mc.

--On Friday, May 13, 2005 6:13 PM -0400 Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM>