Whole Nine Yards (1955!)

Sat May 14 03:53:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:06:25 -0400, Douglas G. Wilson <douglas at NB.NET> wrote:

>As I've probably noted here previously I had a similar correspondence a
>while ago with a gentleman who recalled "whole nine yards" from the early
>1950's from the USN aviation school at Pensacola, where (he stated) it was
>used just as it is now, and where it was said at the time to be the length
>of an ammo belt. He didn't mention any dirty songs.
>
>Of course the derivation from a dirty song is not hard to believe. If this
>is the real origin, one might speculate that the length reflects that
>"nine-yard kilt" tradition (genuine or not, I don't know). However a
>pre-existing expression might be recycled in a song too.
>
>Of course I am not convinced of anything without documentation from the
>time in question. But even dirty songs and stories are recorded to some
>degree, aren't they? Where would one look?

Based on the whole shaggy-dog story that Richard Stratton provided (see
Folk Song Database (DigiTrad):

-----
http://www.mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=8097
ANGUS AND THE KILT
(Lolly Foy)

Well, Angus was a happy lad, for soon he would be wed.
He'd found a brisk and bonnie lass to take him to his bed.
And happier still his mother was that he had found a wife,
For, truth be told, she'd often feared she'd be stuck with him for life.

Cho: It's a fine thing, a bonnie thing, the grandest ever seen.
(Repeat last line of verse)

In honor of the grand affair that wedding day would be,
She set about to weave a kilt, the finest ever seen.
The night before the wedding, when the kilt was finally done,
She called young Angus over and she tried it on her son.

She wound the kilt about him and she wound, and wound, and wound,
And when she finished winding, it was still eight yards too long.
"Never fear, my bonnie boy. We'll simply cut it off,
And to your blushin' bride we'll give the extra length of cloth."

Now Angus was so pleased, y'know, his heart had swelled with pride.
He felt that he must rush right out and show it to his bride.
'Twas raining, so he grabbed a cloak to shield him on the moor,
But in his haste to be away his kilt slammed in the door.

Well, Angus was in such a rush to show off for his bride,
He never really noticed that he had left his kilt behind.
He knocked upon her door and cried, "Oh, let me in, I pray!
I've something that you've got to see before our wedding day."

Now, Bridget let him in, y'know, but said, "Ye cannot stay.
For I've got to have my beauty sleep before our wedding day."
"I'll only be a moment, love, but it's so grand, my dear,
Ye've really got to see what I'm a-hiding under here."

Now, when the cloak was thrown aside and Angus stood quite bare,
We must admit she was impressed and tried hard not to stare.
"Oh, love, I'll ne'er see finer, though far and far I roam!"
"Well, lass," he cried, "that's nothing! I've got eight more yards at home!"

Sung by Wench Works and by Saucy Jade. This song has a tune of its own,
but it f
its "THE SCOTSMAN'S KILT" as well.
-----

No "nine yards" in this version, but see the discussion here about a
possible connection to "the whole nine yards":

http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=31508&messages=28#410526

--Ben Zimmer