"Leader DeLay"??? What's up with that?

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Sat May 14 17:32:03 UTC 2005

>One of my professors goes by her first name with graduate students but
>prefers undergraduates to call her Dr., specifically because one does
>not have to hold a Ph.D. to lecture at my university. She told me that
>she would be fine without that title if she were teaching at an
>institution where all teaching were doctors.
>

>-Lal
>
>Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>>
>>An old study (source forgotten) relates "Dr." and "Professor" titles
>>to prestige of institution. More prestige, less doctoring and
>>professoring.
>>
>>dInIs

At the University of Chicago, professors are (traditionally) called
Mr or Mrs/Ms/Miss, not Doctor, not Professor. Someone once explained
this to me, but I don't remember what the UofC rationale was.
Graduate students address and refer to faculty by first name (at
least in Linguistics). Except I've never had the nerve to call Eric
Hamp anything but Mr or Professor.

Barbara

Barbara Need
UChicago--Linguistics