doctor/professor/etc

Patti J. Kurtz kurtpatt4 at NETSCAPE.NET
Sat May 14 19:48:43 UTC 2005

dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU wrote:

>I did this when I came to the U of TN in 1974. My graduate students did
>call me by my first name - then I learned that only female professors
>were being called by our first names. (I did not change my practice.)

I do this with my undergrads, too-- esp. upper level students.  Freshmen
I give the choice of first name or "Dr. Kurtz."  Funny, though, how even
though I never give 'em this choice, I often get "Mrs. Kurtz."  Maybe
it's because they're fresh out of high school and used to that as a
honorific title for their teachers.   But I wonder if the male profs get
"Mr." or "Dr." more often.

Patti Kurtz

--

Freeman - Long day?