Friendly Confines (1922); Second 1876 "Windy City"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 15 09:48:10 UTC 2005

FRIENDLY CONFINES
I had posted on "Friendly Confines" here in 2002. I had said thatEbbets
Field used it earlier than Wrigley Field. Now, with the digitized Chicago
Tribune, that still stands. Someone can double-check for "friendly confine" and
"friendly confinement." I made a posting to my web page:
_http://www.barrypopik.com/article/883/friendly-confines-of-wrigley-field-was-
ebbets-field-first_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/article/883/friendly-confines-of-wrigley-field-was-ebbets-field-first)
SECOND 1876 "WINDY CITY"
As expected, the 1893 Charles Dana "Windy City Myth," told by the Chicago
Tribune for 70 years and never retracted, looks worse by the day. New York will
never receive an apology and I will never be thanked, from a city that
apologized to a dead cow.
I just double-checked. ProQuest added 1876, and there it is again, in a
story that also happens to be from the Cincinnati Enquirer!
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
     1.
_AT  BLUE ISLAND.; THE CHAMPIONSHIP. NOTES OF THE GAME. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=609958402&SrchMode=1&sid=3&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD
&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1116150103&clientId=65882)
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Jul 2,  1876. p. 3 (1 page)
:
The _Cincinnati Enquirer_, in common with other papers, has been  waiting
with great anxiety for the fulfillment of its prophecy: that the  Chicago papers
would call the Whites hard names when they lost. Witness  these scraps the day
after the Whites lost to the Athletics:
There comes a wail to us from the Windy City. People up there are  disgusted
with their pet White Legs. Louisville is disgusted, too, with  its club. (...)

2. _IN  OTHER SPECTACLES.; THE TEMPLAR PAGEANT AS SEEN BY OUTSIDERS. THE
CHICAGO  IDEA. ALLEGED ARCHES HOW THEY GOT THE MONEY. Cincinnati Commercial. THE
LARGE HOTELS WERE WORSE MAGNIFICENT BADGE SET WITH DIAMONDS _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=587847372&SrchMode=1&sid=3&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=
PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1116150103&clientId=65882)
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Aug  23, 1880. p. 7 (1
page)