"Leader DeLay"??? What's up with that?

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Mon May 16 00:08:56 UTC 2005

At 07:39 PM 5/15/2005, you wrote:
>  Jim Landau writes:
> >
> >A generation and a half into the age of Women's Lib, has the title "Miss"
> >dropped out of use even though the (allegedly sexist) title "Mrs."  remains?
> >
>The idea of having a title for women that had no more reference to marital
>status than "Mr" did for men has had a very hard time in this land of
>women's lib.  People persist in thinking it's just a substitute for "Miss."
>I'm all for the idea of Ms but have never actually liked the form. (I
>usually chuck the return-address labels that arrive in the mail each week
>that have "Ms" or "Mrs," & use only the ones with my name or initials.)
>A. Murie

On the contrary, I think "Ms" has caught on remarkably well, and I don't
think it's just a substitute for "Miss."  Some other languages have adopted
similar forms, I understand, such as "Seno" (with tilde) in Spanish?  (from
a student--can't recall which country)

But I follow the same practice with address labels as Sage Hen does (love
that moniker!).