"Leader DeLay"??? What's up with that?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 16 02:17:19 UTC 2005

That's what "respecting negative face" is all about.

There's also been nice (if dated) work on "ma'am" vs. "dear",
"honey", and other terms of endearment (between strangers in
commercial exchanges), most notably an old (1980) paper by Wolfson &
Manes, "Don't 'Dear' Me" (in S. McConnell-Ginet et al. (eds.), Women
and Language in Literature and Society, 79-92.  New York: Praeger),
which explores age, sex, and regional differences (New England vs.
Southern U.S.) in the choice of terms of address.  Don't know if
there's been any follow-up since.

Larry