"Leader DeLay"??? What's up with that?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue May 17 01:58:00 UTC 2005

When I was taking a course in Japanese, the professor dictated some
sentences on the topic of shopping. Afterward, a classmate asked,
"Yoshiko-sensei, weren't those sentences in the non-honorific forms?"
To which the sensei replied - sneered, actually - "Oh, you don't have
to be respectful to those shopgirls!" Her tone made me glad that I was
black in the U.S.A as opposed to being a working-class kurambo in
Japan.

-Wilson Gray