"Leader DeLay"??? What's up with that?

James C Stalker stalker at MSU.EDU
Tue May 17 03:25:25 UTC 2005

I grew up in KY, did my undergrad degree at UNC, and moved to NYC in 1962
for my first job (non-academic).  I addressed a woman (Mrs. Bussel) who
worked in the office with me as ma'am for some time.  She was "older,"
probably in her 40s.  I was being polite.  She finally told me to stop
calling her ma'am, because she was not my grandmother.

Jim

Beverly Flanigan writes:

> I knew I'd get a rise out of this one!  My students think "Ma'am" is
> terribly old-fashioned and actually do laugh when I bring it up.  But we
> on
> the list ARE older, and yes, I use it in stores too and then feel, well,
> old.  I'm also aware that it's more common in the South, where polite
> children, black and white, say "yes, ma'am" and "no, sir" regularly.
>
> At 08:57 PM 5/15/2005 -0400, you wrote:

James C. Stalker
Department of English
Michigan State University