"reVEL" (eggcorn or phonological blend?)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 17 04:12:54 UTC 2005

Maybe the Big Redhead is corn-fusing the verb with the brand name in "A Revell Authentic Kit," a phrase fondly remembered by makers of plastic airplane models in days gone by. ( Wow !  Eddie Rickenbacker's Spad in 1/72 with Hat-in-the-Ring decal ! )

Or with the place of origin of Sir Thomas Malory of Newbold Revell.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: "reVEL" (eggcorn or phonological blend?)

As fate would have it, for me, "revel" is totally a literary term. I've
*never* heard it spoken by anyone - well, not that I've been aware of,
at least - though I've seen it in print countless times. Nevertheless,
I've always "pronounced" it and "heard" it as ['rEv at lz] in my mind.
It's clearly the only acceptable pronunciation. ;-)

-Wilson Gray