Judge Joe Brown redux

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 17 06:46:39 UTC 2005

Wilson, are these familar terms from your (now legendary) youth ?  They only went mainstream in the mid sixties or early seventies.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Judge Joe Brown redux

I've noticed that the judge, though he's younger than I, nevertheless
uses slang terms in their older, "correct" forms and not in their more
modern, "corrupted" forms. (For those with no sense of humor, I'm
writing with tongue in cheek.)

For example, the good judge doesn't "put someone down" (which normally
means to "break off a relationship with someone), he "downs" [i.e.
"insults"] someone. He doesn't "cut someone slack," he "_gives_ someone
slack."

-Wilson Gray