wildflowers and weeds (was Re: Eggcorn?)

Wed May 18 01:48:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:24:06 -0700, Arnold M. Zwicky
<zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU> wrote:

>On May 17, 2005, at 11:24 AM, Dennis R. Preston asked me:
>
>> Could you warn us about this with some other name?
>>
>> houttuynia cordata
>>
>> dInIs, who'd like to keep this crap out of his garden, but don't know
>> what it is
>
>it doesn't have a "common name", remarkably enough.

Don't know how "common" these names are...

-----
http://www.plantnames.unimelb.edu.au/Sorting/Houttuynia.html

Chinese lizard tail,  Fish mint, Fish plant,  Fishwort, Heartleaf ,
Himalayan spinach, Lizard's tail, Edible houttuynia, Heartleaf houttuynia,
Vietnamese fish plant, White chaplu, Wild houttuynia.
-----

I bet Barry has some of these names in his files.

--Ben Zimmer