Nutraffin; Shabakia

Orin Hargraves orinkh at CARR.ORG
Wed May 18 11:38:16 UTC 2005

Regarding . . .

 SHABAKIA
I ate at Galil Restaurant,1252 Lexington Avenue (between 84th and 86th
Strrets), Kosher Moroccan Cuisine. The "hummus" was OK. For dessert, I saw
"Shabakia" and I don't think I've recorded that.
(GOOGLE)
_Submission Guidlines_ (http://www.dragonlordsnet.com/submit.htm)
... shabakia, shah-bah-KEY-uh, A cookie made with honey, sesame seeds and
spices.

A more accurate transliteration would be shebbakia, and in Morocco it's
pronounced sh-BAK-ia; derived from shbbak, the dialect word for window (or
iron grillwork thereof, which the cookie resembles). A familiar site is a
stack of these for sale in a souk with bees and wasps buzzing around them.

Orin Hargraves