"Red" vs "orange" redux

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Wed May 18 21:39:43 UTC 2005

Wilson Gray wrote:
> In a conversation with my wife, I used the phrase, "orange traffic
> cone."
> She:  "What do you mean by "orange traffic cone"?
> I:  "You know. Those things they use when they're doing work on the
> street?"
> She, in the special feminine tone of voice that says: This conversation
> is over:  "Traffic cones are red."

Heh. Once, my sister and I were sorting the family laundry. She held up
one of my shirts and asked, "Is this brown?" I glanced over and said,
"No, it's yellow."

She slugged me.

I don't understand these things.

(For the record, it was a low-intensity yellow, not quite dark enough to
be called "mustard".)

Jim Parish