Query: why "salt and pepper" but not "pepper and salt"?

James C Stalker stalker at MSU.EDU
Thu May 19 02:30:49 UTC 2005

I would agree with your supposition.  Note that people who are graying won't
likely be described as having salt and pepper hair, but more likely pepper
and salt.

Jim

Cohen, Gerald Leonard writes:

> This evening I received the following query: Why do we always say "salt and pepper" and never "pepper and salt?"
>
>    I suppose the answer is that salt is more important.
>  One may have just salt on the table, or both salt and pepper, but rarely only pepper.
>
>    Or am I missing something?
>
> Gerald Cohen

James C. Stalker
Department of English