wildflowers

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Thu May 19 03:00:03 UTC 2005

>In the spring, I used to follow my mother around our ex-urban neighborhood,
>in development but not developed, as she collected up greens for
>supper--dandelion, poke, and other stuff.  Even in the spring they were
>pretty strong tasting, but good.  My regret is twofold: as a linguist, I
>didn't pay attention to the names; as an eater, I can't replicate her
>search.
>
>Jim

~~~~~~~~~
Goatsbeard, /Tragopogon pratensis/,  nettles /Urtica dioica & U. gracilis/,
Ox-eye daisy /Chrysanthemum leucanthemum/,  & garlic mustard, /Alliaria
officinale/,  are also good wild foods. They are all hardy weeds --  or
wildflowers, depending on your point of view -- that grow all over the
northeast. Britton & Brown's /Flora of the Northern United States & Canada/
(Dover 3 vols.) is a great source for common names of herbaceous plants.
A. Murie