Chocolate is the new black; Brooklyn still in the league? (1934)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 19 05:02:41 UTC 2005

CHOCOLATE IS THE NEW BLACK
I just saw this at the Godiva chocolate store. The saying has been around a
while.
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
    _CK  Derrick's back in TX_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.gothic/browse_thread/thread/1ba6a86f84a13774/c62493fa9cd8a179?q="chocolate+is+the+ne
w+black"&rnum=1&hl=en#c62493fa9cd8a179)
... was listening to Denim and  S'leff sez "sky blue is the new BLACK!!!" and
S*xbat
sez "nonono  chocolate is the new BLACK!" and S'leff  sez "No, chocolate is
_alt.gothic_ (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.gothic?hl=en)  - Jul 17
1999, 12:05 pm  by sk8gundy - 1 message - 1 author

_A  bit HOTP Question_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.rec.sheds/browse_thread/thread/ced350d4f129f8c2/7e33ed840e1c230a?q="chocolate+is+the+new+blac
k"&rnum=2&hl=en#7e33ed840e1c230a)
<36f9ee2a.5507... at news.freeserve.net>... Could do with a packet  of smarties
now, chocolate is the new  black. I nearly bort one of ...
_uk.rec.sheds_ (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.rec.sheds?hl=en)  -
Mar 23 1999, 12:39 pm  by Jon Thompson - 86 messages - 29 authors
(GOOGLE)
_Gothamist: Chocolate is the New  Black_
(http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2003/12/03/chocolate_is_the_new_black.php)
... Chocolate  is the New Black. Marie Belle Chocolates.  After tackling
cupcakes
and BBQ, the Times Julia Moskin looks at the  new age of chocolate ...
www.gothamist.com/archives/  2003/12/03/chocolate_is_the_new_black.php - 46k
- _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:1Sw735Nb2I4J:www.gothamist.com/archives/2003/12/03/chocolate_is_the_new_black.php+"chocolate+is+the+new+blac
k"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.gothamist.com/archives/2003/12/03/chocolate_is_the_new_
black.php)

BROOKLYN STILL IN THE LEAGUE?
Here's the exact quote. Actually many newspapers completely ignored the  line
on that day.
...]
25 January 1934, New York Herald Tribune, pg. 19, col. 4:]
_Terry Predicts_
_Giants Finish_
_Among First 3_
(...)
"Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Chicago will be the teams we'll have to beat,"
Terry said. I don't think the Braves will do as well as they did last  year."
"Do you fear the Dodgers?" he was asked.
"I was just wondering," said Terry, "whether they were still in the  league."
25 January 1934, New York Daily News, pg. 45, col. 2:
The Dodgers? Will they give trouble? Mr. Terry grinned. He said he hadn't
heard much about that outfit in a long while and he wondered whether they're
still in the league.
25 January 1934, New York Evening Post, "Quinn Rebukes Terry for Slap at
Dodgers," pg. 15, col. 3:
Colonel William Terry, young manager of the world champion Giants, seems to
have awakened the Dodgers, club and fans alike, from their long winter
hibernation. And the Dodgers have awakened like a hungry bear, demanding to know
just what Memphis Bill meant by his uncomplimentary remark about the Dodgers
still being in the league.
In a gabfest yesterday with baseball writers, Terry was asked (Col. 4 -  ed.)
if he feared the Dodgers. His whimsical reply was: "I was just wondering
whether they were still in the league."
If Bill thought this would go unchallenged in Brooklyn, he was guessing
wrong, for Bob Quinn, business manager of the Brooklyn club, has countered with  a
stinging rebuke.
When apprised of Terry's remark, Bob said: "I doubt very much if Terry made
that remark (Col. 5 - ed.)  but if he did, it ill befits a manager of a
championship ball club, particularly a manager who was so thin-skinned himself
that he was very much perturbed about writers picking his team to finish last in
1933.
"And the Brooklyn club may fool Mr. Terry by being the team to prevent him
from repeating his triumph of last year. At least, we'll let him know we are
still in the league."  NASH.
26 January 1934, New York Daily News, pg .34, cols. 1-2 headline:
_Yep, Dodgers Are Still in League!_
(Also, in another edition - ed.)
_The Dodgers? Oh Yes, They're_
_Still in League, Mr. Terry_
26 January 1934, New York Evening Post, pg. 14, col. 3:
It is amusing how quickly a Brooklynite can be aroused by a slur against  the
Dodgers. Terry happened to remark, "I was just wondering whether they were
still in the league."