adjective "Christian"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 19 12:32:35 UTC 2005

Thanks, Rex.  It's nice to have a rhyme for "mofo."

JL

"Rex W. Stocklin" <stocklin at EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Rex W. Stocklin"
Subject: Re: adjective "Christian"

At 4:48 AM -0700 5/17/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>Takes all kinds, don't it ? It's handy to find spiritual sanction to
>do exactly what you want to do anyway.

The problem is the truly spiritual are not to blame. Point your
fingers at the sanctimonious; the contemptuous, dodgy, arrogant
religiously correct; the disingenuous social "Christians" who play
the part for image (their bourgeois burlesque maligns the whole deal
for those of genuine faith*)

>What's "bofos" ? The Firesign Theatre LP was "I Think We're All
>BOZOS on This Bus" (1971).

buttfuckers, a play on the Firesigner's most choice work.

I have no etymology, but we used to use it WAY back as early as
1974, when I was a frosh at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. Also
there's this:

The grass is always greener where the sun don't shine,
Lexy,
Fishers, IN