"Red" vs "orange" redux

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Thu May 19 17:44:39 UTC 2005

Bill.Mullins wrote:

>Isn't this about the same shade as "hunter orange" or "blaze orange"?
>(Deer hunters around here are required to wear some number of square
>inches of "blaze orange" while in the woods.  Some of them still manage
>to get shot, though.)

I remember this (about 1961) as 'Daylight Fluorescent Orange', a new color
technology soon to be shortened to 'Day-glo Orange.'

Day-glo

(Other 'day-glo' colors were soon available, as well).  May have been a
NASA offshoot (developed to color Tang!).

Fire engines, OTOH, switched from fire engine red to a sickly pale green
(among other odd colors).  Guess it don't pay to fight fire with
fire-red/orange.  Thinking of day-glo Tang, now I'm wondering if fire
engine puke green was developed to color Gator-Ade.

Michael McKernan