adjective "Christian"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu May 19 18:45:07 UTC 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 1:52 AM, Rex W. Stocklin wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Rex W. Stocklin" <stocklin at EARTHLINK.NET>
> Subject:      Re: adjective "Christian"
> --------
>
> At 4:48 AM -0700 5/17/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>
>> Takes all kinds, don't it ? It's handy to find spiritual sanction to
>> do exactly what you want to do anyway.
>
> The problem is the truly spiritual are not to blame. Point your
> fingers at the sanctimonious; the contemptuous, dodgy, arrogant
> religiously correct; the disingenuous social "Christians" who play
> the part for image (their bourgeois burlesque maligns the whole deal
> for those of genuine faith*)
>
>> What's "bofos" ?  The Firesign Theatre LP was "I Think We're All
>> BOZOS on This Bus" (1971).
>
> buttfuckers, a play on the Firesigner's most choice work.

Damn!  And here I thought that a friend of mine, a woman of impeccable
taste, was the only person on earth to use that term as a euphemism
with the meaning of "buttfuck-! This hurts almost as much as the
laughter that I received when I let it be known that I had invented the
term, "pimpmobile." Sigh! ;-)

-Wilson