Siamese Connection (1879, 1884); Underdog (1884)

Thu May 19 20:43:31 UTC 2005

Barker's "doggerel" appeared earlier than the Oct. 1859 _Liberator_ -- for
instance, the _Illinois State Chronicle_ printed it on Apr. 28 of that
year (see N-Archive).  Note also that by the time of its appearance in the
_Liberator_, the poem was well-known enough to spawn responses (Barker's
verse is followed by others entitled "The Upper Dog in the Fight", "The
Outside Dog in the Fight", and "The Dog that Goes in for the Right").

--Ben Zimmer