source of quote "That's the beauty of it. It doesn't DO anything."

Michael Adams madams1448 at AOL.COM
Fri May 20 16:16:59 UTC 2005

I can't find my copy of the book to check, but is it perhaps the Water
Rat with the Mole on the latter's first encounter with the River in
"The Wind and the Willows"?

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Clements <SClements at NEO.RR.COM>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent:         Thu, 19 May 2005 22:27:10 -0400
Subject:      source of quote "That's the beauty of it.  It doesn't DO
anything."

  "What does it do?"
"That's the beauty of it. It doesn't <i>do</i> anything."

This question comes up on many a board.  It is one of those familiar
things that
we all KNOW we've heard in a movie(or somewhere).  But no one can come
up with
the source.

It was posted in this thread
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=317339
over at the Straight Dope board.  I remember searching for it a year
ago.   I
was convinced it was from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  It
evidently
isn't.

Any help here?  And apologies in advance if this is too trivial for the
ADS-L.

Sam Clements