Hypercorrection?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 20 19:48:30 UTC 2005

Maybe "defendant" is going the way of "anti-," non-distinct from
"ante-" in my youth, except as a slang term: "Man, that's way anti!"
wherein "anti" = [aentai] "negative, bad, lame." This could have been
motivated by a desire by the semi-literate ;-) to distinguish one from
the other. But there's also "semi" itself, which is now
[sEmai]/[sImai]. On the other hand, there's that TV ad in which "hemi"
is still "correctly" pronounced as [hEmi], well, as [hImI], at least,
and not as [hEmai]/hImai].

-Wilson

--
-Wilson Gray