Snakeheads & Snakeboats (1982)

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 23 03:32:13 UTC 2005

I found "snakeheads" and "snakeboats" from 1981 on FACTIVA. Here are a few other databases. I had trouble using the databases China Academic Journals and China Data Online.
(FACTIVA)
Mindland mothers Children of aliens strain Hong Kong
STANLEY OZIEWICZ
522 words
The Globe and Mail
P10
English
All material copyright Thomson Canada Limited or its licensors. All rights reserved.

Globe and Mail Correspondent
HONG KONG - Lam Yenfin, 23, an illegal immigrant from China, gave birth in Hong Kong not long ago.
Due to be sent back to China - without her baby - she chose to flee the unguarded maternity ward for the relative anonymity of the teeming streets.
Before the birth, Lam had spent four months in detention for using a forged identity card. Her newborn child, regarded as a Hong Kong native, became a ward of the colonial Administration's social welfare department.
As soon as Lam is found she'll be taken immediately to the border at Man Kan To for an unceremonious repatriation.
When that happens, she will join several dozen other "illegal mothers" who have been forcibly returned to the mainland in the last six months. The cases have added a new dimension to the continuing problem of illegal immigrants from the People's Republic.
Few want to go back to China, but the Administration, fearing a flood it can't accommodate, is sticking to its tough measures. In fact, it is not the Administration's decision to separate mother from child. Most of the "illegal mothers" have chosen to leave babies in custody or with relatives, believing that a happier life for their children exists in Hong Kong. There's also the hope that their children may eventually sponsor parents' legal immigration.
In the four years to the end of 1981, Hong Kong has had to cope with a wave of more than 400,000 immigrants (legal and illegal) from China. So, it's not surprising that the Administration is taking sterner steps to control immigration.
Police have been given the power, for example, to ask anyone to produce an identity card, which all residents over 14 must carry. And a Hong Kong newspaper reported recently that the screws will become even tighter.
According to the report, the colony's executive council is considering changing the immigration law so that even people who are born in Hong Kong won't have the automatic right to stay. Residence rights will only come if the parents have lived in the colony for at least seven years.
If such an amendment goes through, an "illegal mother" would not be allowed to leave her Hong Kong-born child behind when she is being repatriated unless the father is settled here.
Repatriation of "illegal mothers" has caused considerable controversy among lawyers and social workers. But in this 401-square-mile colony of about six million inhabitants the public, in general, has not quarelled with the official policy.
"To let one illegal immigrant wife stay simply because she's had a baby is to invite triads (criminal societies) to start smuggling in illegal brides who will be told to have babies quickly if they want to remain," Elsie Elliott, an urban councillor, says.
Authorities are already trying to counter a child-smuggling racket, whereby youngsters are brought into Hong Kong aboard fishing junks known as "snakeboats" named after the traffickers, "snakeheads." They can earn as much as $6,000 for a crossing.
(ASIA AMERICAN DRAMA)

1. Barroga, Jeannie. "Talk-Story"
[Page 86 | Paragraph | Act | Table of Contents]
the light! ABANO NO! I gotta see his eyes! ABANO [resumes story] All I had was my rifle. Pedro had nothing but guts. One wrong move on our parts, and a snake head would go for Pedro's neck! Pedro! Brave, fearless... always it was Pedro... ABANO Start the engine! ABANO And me, I ran like a chicken without a head....

Results Bibliography
Barroga, Jeannie, 1949-, Talk-Story. Electronic Edition by Alexander Street Press, L.L.C., 2002. © Jeannie Barroga, 1997. Also published in But Still, Like Air, I'll Rise: New Asian American Plays, Houston, Velina Hasu, ed., Temple University Press, Philadelphia, PA, 1997. [Author Information] [Bibliographic Details] [Character Information] [1997] [PL007312]
(BIBLIOGRAPHY OF ASIAN STUDIES)

1 Author: De Silva, K.H.G. Mangala
Title: The present status of snakehead (Teleostei: Channidae) fishery in Sri Lanka and the development of feeds for commercial culture
Citation: In: Hirano, Reijiro; Hanyu, Isao, eds. The Second Asian Fisheries Forum: proceedings of the Second Asian Fisheries, Forum, Tokyo, Japan 17-22 April 1989. Manila: Asian Fisheries Society, 1990. 991p. 1990 735-738
Subjects:  Sri Lanka -- Economics -- Agriculture -- Aquaculture

ID: 145728
add to bookbag

2 Author: De Silva, K.H.G.M.
Title: Cheap sources of alternate feed for the farming of snakehead fish (Teleostei: Channidae) in Sri Lanka
Citation: In: Huisman, E.A.; Zonneveld, N.; Bouwmans, A.H.M., eds. Aquacultural research in Asia: management techniques and nutrition: proceedings of the Asian seminar on aquaculture, Malang, Indonesia, 14-18 November 1988. Wageningen: Pudoc, 1989. 271p. 1989 241-253
Subjects:  Sri Lanka -- Economics -- Agriculture -- Aquaculture

ID: 145727
add to bookbag

3 Author: K. Phanwichien; T. Somsiri; S. Chinabut
Title: Comparative study of experimental mycobacteriosis between snakehead fish (Chana striata) and frog (Rana tigrina)
Citation: Asian Fisheries Science (Manila) 12, no.4 (1999) 351-356
ISSN: 0116-6514
Subjects:  Thailand -- Economics -- Agriculture -- Aquaculture
  Thailand -- Economics -- Industry -- Fishing Industry
  Thailand -- Science & Technology

ID: 259761
add to bookbag

4 Author: Ng, H.H.; Tan, S.H.; Ng, P.K.L.
Title: Revalidation of Channa baramensis (Steindachner 1901), a species of snakehead from northern Borneo
Citation: Sarawak Museum Journal (Kuching) 48, no.69 (1995) 219-226
ISSN: 0375-3050
Subjects:  Malaysia/Sabah -- Science & Technology

ID: 389726
add to bookbag

5 Author: Wijeyaratne, M.J.S.
Title: Food intake and food conversion efficiency of the snakehead Ociocephalus striatus Bloch in a peaty swamp in Sri Lanka
Citation: In: Huisman, E.A.; Zonneveld, N.; Bouwmans, A.H.M., eds. Aquacultural research in Asia: management techniques and nutrition: proceedings of the Asian seminar on aquaculture, Malang, Indonesia, 14-18 November 1988. Wageningen: Pudoc, 1989. 271p. 1989 261-267
Subjects:  Sri Lanka -- Economics -- Agriculture -- Aquaculture

ID: 582021
add to bookbag