**spamTrapper 02.76** Standing, Stopping and Parking in the US

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon May 23 19:13:08 UTC 2005

NO PARKING HERE TO CORNER is also a familiar sight in NYC.

The most understandable is DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT PARKING HERE, seen on Fifth Ave. & 44th (I think) St. about 25 years ago.  Is it still there ?  Who was the genius behind it ?

Most infuriating are those which detail "alternate side of the street parking," and believe me, if you don't know what that means, you don't want to know.  Just don't try to park on the street in Manhattan.  Ever.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: **spamTrapper 02.76** Standing, Stopping and Parking in the
US

I've always enjoyed this pair:

Saint Louis: NO THROUGH STREET

Los Angeles: STREET NOT THROUGH

They both mean "DEAD END," of course.

As a child, I was totally confused by Saint Louis's NO PARKING HERE TO
CORNER street signs, which I understood to mean NO PARKING HERE [IN
ORDER] TO CORNER. For years, I wondered exactly what it is that one
does, when one "corners." I was also impressed by the efficacy of this
traffic law, since I never saw so much as a single car park in such a
space and then follow that act by cornering.

-Wilson Gray