Juncture

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue May 24 02:15:59 UTC 2005

"I must leave here," said Lady de Vere
"For these damp airs don't suit me, I fear"
     Said her friend, "Goodness me!
     If they do not agree
With your systems, why eat pears, my dear?"

An indolent vicar of Bray
His roses allowed to decay
      His wife, more alert
      Bought a powerful squirt
And said to her spouse, "Let us spray".
              (attributed to Langford Reed by William S. Baring-Gould in _The
Lure of the Limerick_ page 127.

Two other comments:  some time ago there was a discussion here of how "nexty
door" was interpreted as "next store" by families who lived in apartments over
storefronts.  Also for some obscure reason I habitually pronounce "this
afternoon" as "the safternoon".

    - James A. Landau