"Red" vs "orange" redux

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 24 17:48:54 UTC 2005

Thanks for the info, Dave. However, discretion being the better part
of valor, I shall keep this to myself. My wife has made her decision.

Some background: somewhere or other, I once read that, for native
speakers of French, orange is supposedly a shade of red and not a
separate color. On  the other hand, native speakers of Russian
supposedly see two different colors where English-speakers see only
two shades of the same color, light blue and dark blue. This was
discussed here.

So, the point of the redux is that a native speaker of English
apparently agrees with the French that orange is only a shade of red.

FWIW, a French publishing publishes what it calls its "Serie rouge" of
paperback books on linguistics. IMO, the color of the covers of the
books in this series is, without a doubt, clearly orange.

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray