"We are the people" (1886? 1888?)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed May 25 00:47:53 UTC 2005

"We are the people" is the slogan of the candidate that Travis Bickel thinks about killing in _Taxi Driver_ (1976).

JL

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: "We are the people" (1886? 1888?)

_http://www.barrypopik.com/article/915/we-are-the-people-1888-1889-champion-ba
seball-giants_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/article/915/we-are-the-people-1888-1889-champion-baseball-giants)
"We are the people!" was the slogan of baseball's New York Giants, 1888 and
1889 National League champions.
"We, the people" is from the constitution.
"We are the people" is to be a new slogan of the Democratic party. No one
has remembered that it was used before, it seems.
Does Fred Shapiro have it? I'm having trouble looking for it in Paper of
Record (Sporting News). "We" and "are" and "the" are all ignored as common
"noise" words.