Jap

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 25 21:40:27 UTC 2005

Does a word have to be intended as a slur in order for it to be felt
as a slur? I remember a fellow GI's explanation that he used "nigger"
only for a restricted class of blacks - those who were *not* members
of the U.S. Army Security Agency - whereas I *was* a member of the
Security Agency. Hence, when he spoke of "niggers," he wasn't speaking
of niggers like me. Nevertheless, I felt that his use of "nigger" was
a slur, even though it supposedly wasn't meant as one.

I also recall using the term, "shanty Irish," while chatting with an
Irish-American colleague and watching the smile freeze on his face. I
by no means meant "shanty Irish" as a slur, given that I, just as the
other guy explained to me, was excluding present company, not to
mention that, for me, "shanty Irish" carries no emotional load, since
i'm not of Irish ancestry. Nevertheless, the change in my friend's
expression showed me that he felt it as a slur.

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray