well-endowed

neil neil at TYPOG.CO.UK
Thu May 26 12:24:25 UTC 2005

on 26/5/05 12:26 pm, Dennis R. Preston at preston at MSU.EDU wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: well-endowed

--> -

> A student asked me the other day when the phrase=20
> "well-endowed" took on its current anatomical=20
> meaning and began referring only occasionally to=20
> gifts providing abundant financial resources. Of=20
> course, I did not know.
> One on-line dictionary shows the financial sense=20
> has indeed slipped to third place (below, and=20
> this is also the line-up in the AHD). Another had=20
> only the reference to female anatomy and no=20
> mention of males or money.
>
> well-en=B7dowed (wln-doud)
> adj.
> 1.  Having large breasts.
> 2.  Having large genitals. Used of a male.
> 3.  Having a large endowment or amount of money.
>
> dInIs
> --
> Dennis R. Preston

'well--endowed' doesn't make it in Blake (1964), Trimble (1966), Gordon
(1967), or Gillette (1969).

However, V.J. Samuels, 'An ABC of Sexual Words and Phrases' (Greenleaf
Classic, San Diego, 1969, 96) does have:

'endowed -- possessing a large penis, as "a well-endowed man."

Another expression was also current in the 1960s:

ŒShe had realized that her nephew was well equipped from that pressing
hardness during their previous kiss. But she had not expected anything like
the nine-inch column that arched its purple head in quivering readiness.¹
­John C. Douglas, 'Stepmother¹s Lover', Beeline 0315, USA, 1968
[www.asstr.org]

--Neil Crawford