Bush catapults the propaganda

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 26 19:52:17 UTC 2005

Surely he said / meant "counteract" ?  He wouldn't call his own view propaganda, would he ?

Great image, though.
JL

Ed Keer <edkeer at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Ed Keer
Subject: Bush catapults the propaganda

In a recent speach,
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/05/20050524-3.html,
Pres. bush says something about "catapulting
propaganda". Here's the quote:

"Now, a personal savings account would be a part of a
Social Security retirement system. It would be a part
of what you would have to retire when you reach
retirement age. As you -- as I mentioned to you
earlier, we're going to redesign the current system.
If you've retired, you don't have anything to worry
about -- third time I've said that. (Laughter.) I'll
probably say it three more times. See, in my line of
work you got to keep repeating things over and over
and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of
catapult the propaganda. (Applause.)"

I don't mean to bash the president, but I have no clue
what he means here. Maybe it's a bad transcription.
Maybe he really said catapult. I don't get it. Does
anyone have any insight into why 'catapult' in this sentence?