Charlie

Thu May 26 22:49:07 UTC 2005

Here is an antedating for U. S. use, and also, it seems, the first wild-
caught passage in which the word is used, the OED's two earlier cites
(from England) were taken from dictionaries.

1826:   Mr. Editor, As I was going home a fortnight ago, my attention
was arrested by one of our "Charlies" whom I discovered in a close
confab with a young woman. . . .
        Hawk & Buzzard, April 29, 1826, p. 2, cols. 2-3

1827:   . . . the Charlies being called, . . . they were nabbed and
carried to the nask, . . . and in the morning brought before the Beak.
After being all night in limbo, they resolved to cap, (14) but were not
able to muster the Tatlers.
(14): to give satisfaction
Commercial Advertiser, February 1, 1827, p. 2, col. 3

HDAS: (1a) *1812, from Vaux, Vocab.; 1837 (U. S.);
OED (Charley, sense 1.) The name formerly given to a night-watchman.
1812 J. H. VAUX Flash Dict., Charley, a watchman, Charley-ken, a watch-
box. 1823 in Hone Every-day Bk. I. 1628 No Charlies have they now.
a1845 HOOD Tale of Trump. lv, That other old woman, the parish Charley!

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.