Re:       Re: Origin of word "redskin"

Fri May 27 19:58:32 UTC 2005

In a message dated 5/26/05 2:06:28 PM, laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

> Obsolete, perhaps, but still functional when needed as a slur.  If it
> were really obsolete, the various "dirty redskin" hits on google
> wouldn't be understood.  (Their source does not appear to be Cowboys
> or Giants fans.)  And this in turn makes me wonder about the
> non-derogatory claim of the federal court below.  No, "a redskin
> family moved into my neighborhood" wouldn't be heard, but that would
> be the wrong register, as would "The underrepresented minorities in
> the student body include 8% African-Americans, 7% Hispanics, and 0.5%
> Redskins".  "Injun" is also obsolete,  but would the "Oklahoma
> Injuns" be acceptable?
>
> Larry

The first ten hits for "dirty redskin" that I looked at on a Google search
today go more to undercut Larry's contention here than to support it. The
contexts are either archaic references or sardonic usages. It just is not the case
that, for the vast majority of speakers today, "redskin" is an active
slur--certainly not in the same way that "kike," "nigger," "redneck," or "faggot" are.

"Oklahoma Injuns" would not be so much unacceptable as ridiculous, like, say,
the Nebraska Norskis or the Milwaukee Octoroons. The term is indeed pretty
much obsolete, and while there is some evidence that it was always used at least
somewhat pejoratively, it is rarely used in ANY way. It has no history. It is
impossible to imagine using such names without trying to imagine a context
for their use, and no plausible context comes to mind.

There is a context, however--both historical and synchronic for "Washington
Redskins." There is, moreover, a long history of the use of "Redskin"
nonpejoratively in the United States. (David Bowie conjectures, "... it clearly *was*
offensive, including presumably to a largproportion of Native Americans, at
some point in the past," but my research indicates that this is simply NOT the
case.)
Most people just don't think of it as anything other than a positive term
within the sports context (one of my North Carolina friends is a woman of Indian
ancedstrsy who proudly wears a "Redskins" jacket). The history of the
oppression of the indigenous peoples of the Americas is ugly and brutal and
shameful--and ongoing. But the use of the term "Redskin" played little or any role in
that history, and (it seems to me) spending millions of dollars in court costs
to try to get a sports team's trademark revoked is not even a symbolically
useful exercise.

The question "Is it acceptable?" is one that any linguist knows must be
answered by the questions, "Acceptable to whom?" "Acceptable under what
conditions?"