Jap

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 27 22:17:15 UTC 2005

FWIW, relatives of mine living in the Wake County region of North
Carolina have the pronunciation, "JAY pan," for "Japan." When I first
heard it, I thought that the speaker was just joking, since the string
of letters j-a-p-a-n does have "JAY pan" as a possible pronunciation.
But everybody in the conversation was saying "JAY pan" and nobody was
using "juh-PAN."

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray