film=fillum

Sat May 28 00:33:17 UTC 2005

There aren't many words with /lm/ --which is a pretty marginal cluster
in English (elm is often ellum, too).  A lot of the dialects that gave
birth to American English--Scots and Southwestern English for two,
disallow this cluster.  We inherited that, so we, like those dialects,
break the cluster up by inserting a vowel in between.  The same dialects
also tend to disallow /ln/ as in kiln, > kill.

Paul Johnston