film=fillum

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun May 29 04:59:53 UTC 2005

In my entire life, I've met only one native-speaker of English - this
kind of thing is typical of the English spoken by the Dutch - who used
this "ellum fillum" pronunciation: my late stepfather. In his case,
this may well have been due to a  speech defect, since he was born and
bred in St. Louis, where this anaptyxis is unknown. Hence, he would
have had no model to copy.Those who remember the late cartoonist, Jimmy
Hatlo, may also recall that his characters not only used "ellum fillum"
for "elm film," but also "inkum [ingk at m] (tax)]" for "income."

-Wilson Gray