"Guys and Dolls"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun May 29 14:09:05 UTC 2005

I am including book titles in my quotation dictionary when they have
"entered the language."  I am trying to decide whether to include Damon
Runyon's title "Guys and Dolls."  The OED cites this as one of their
quotations under "guy," but that may or may not mean much.  Does anyone
have a sense of how linguistically or phraseologically influential
Runyon's title was?

Fred Shapiro